Monday, March 3, 2008

Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite

Last Monday, the 25th of February, we met our friends Jacqueline and Philippe in Lyon to accompany them on their vacation to the area around Toulouse. They invited us along to visit their friends and to make duck confit and foie gras--in the beginning there was a whole duck! We had a reservation for the TGV at 4pm.

But before we left as we had to go to the Agence Nationale de l'Accueil des Estrangers et des Migrations (ANAEM) for our physicals as part of obtaining our carte de sejour and medical insurance. Our appointment was at 1 pm. Their office is located near the Bastille, which is near Gare de Lyon where we would get the TGV to go to Lyon that afternoon.

When we arrived, there was a "gathering" of about 25 people who appeared to be from another century (we guessed Albanian, but have since been advised that they are probably Romanian as the border has been opened). If you have seen the Gypsies who have been in European cities for many years, you can get an image. They were trying to get into the offices, but did not have the necessary papers for entry. They were men and women of various ages passing cigarettes back and forth and some carrying their belongings in shopping caddies--and David and I with our suitcases! It must have been an interesting sight to see us in the midst of this rather boisterous crowd. I so wanted to take a picture, but prudence intervened.

When we got in, David just had his exam, but I got to be part of Sarkozy's new introduction to France program for immigrants. We had not heard about this! They had a movie about France and its principals of Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite. I had to sign a "Contrat d'accueil et d'integration"--in which I promised to learn French, attend a day long program on French civics, and attend any required interviews to monitor my progress and France promises me the same rights as French citizens except voting privileges. I passed my French test and 'Session d'information sur la vie en France"...so I am looking forward to this civics class! Another interesting fact--my Massachusetts driver's license is valid for me to use --not every state's license is. Once I get my carte de sejour, I can renew it. David, however, le professeur, did not have to do any of these things! No contract, no French civics, no language test (they have free instruction in French if you need it)---I guess that if Ecole des Mines hires you, you must have the French principals of Liberte, Egalite and Fraternite. And, I am Judith Procaccini in all of my French paperwork.

We did make our train...although it was close. The young woman calling the names for the medical appointments did not call my name until I was the only person left--she told me she did not see anyone who was a "Parks"--I think she was looking for someone who was Asian! She was so apologetic that she personally made the rounds with me and got me out in an hour!

We arrived in Lyon--at the right train station (I missed it the last time!) and Philippe had prepared a wonderful meal of a pureed soup of lentils de Puy and coquilles St. Jacques...a hint of what we would see during the week!

No comments: